Tuesday, August 4, 2009

about SWL

After about a year or so of being a stay at home mom I was getting that "itch" to want to do something...something creative. I wasn't ready to send my boys off to preschool just to fill that void, so I got my sewing machine out and started playing around. I had put the "dreaded machine" (what I used to call it while earning my fashion degree) away and wasn't sure if it even had any juice left to run. Well, after a few tears, screams, hubby "pls fix this before I go insane" moments Terry (by better half) went and bought me a new one. Brand spankin' new...nothing fancy...just the Martha Stewart Singer you can buy at your local costco's for under $200!! But, it had every stitch needed to do what I like to call "fun sewing"!

I read through some blogs, became a frequent "fabric store" shopper, damaged a few shirts (trial and error is the best, right?!...whatever!) and FINALLY got the hang of what I was wanting to accomplish. Creating custom applique's for children's t's was my new "thing". So, I decided to start my own business to run outside of our home. The name? Well, I believe that "Love" is just the most wonderful thing in the world and each piece I had sewn for my boys was completely out of love for them, for designing, for finding "me" again. It's easy to get lost in the shuffle when you are a mom of 2, wife to 1, maid to 3, chef to 3, nurse to 3, taxi driver....etc! So, Stitched with Love was created.

In the beginning I was getting maybe 1 or 2 orders a week. Then a few "Sara, can you make this later?"...I was making other stuff and getting MORE orders. Goodness when the pillowcase dress became available I can't tell you how shocked I was on the response. I thought...I can do this! And, it's so much fun! So, I slowly offer new things. Mainly simple items. Simple because that is all I can do right now with my main job being a MOM and then I got crazy and started freelance photography on the side. Some ask...how in the world can you do all that you do? My answer is simple. This economy is tough. Whatever I have to do to help us out I will. My second answer is also very simple. I need something that I can say is "mine". Not in a negative way, but just that I have something for me. We only live once and I want to make sure that my kiddos know that NO MATTER WHAT you follow your dreams and you make them happen. No excuses. "Do what you LOVE. LOVE what you do." And, I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment